Mississippi State University offers MSU students the opportunity to complete a minor in music. The Music Minor is a comprehensive set of courses designed to increase student musicianship and knowledge.
Music History (2-3 hrs) (1)
Choose one of the following courses:
- MU 1113 History and Appreciation of Music (3)
- MU 1162 Music History I (2)
- MU 2322 Music History II (2)
- MU 2323 Music History III (3)
Music Theory and Aural Skills (8 hrs)
- MU 1213 Music Theory I (3)
- MU 1321 Ear Training I (1)
- MU 1413 Music Theory II (3)
- MU 1521 Ear Training II (1)
Class Piano (2 hrs)
- MU 2111 Piano Class I (1)
- MU 2121 Piano Class II (1)
- MU 3112 Functional Skills Piano I (2)
Applied Study (4 hrs)
Two semesters of study (2 credit hours each semester) must be completed on the same instrument.
Ensembles (2 hrs)
Two semesters of major or minor ensembles
Recital Hour (0 hrs)
MU 1010 Recital Hour must be taken for 2 semesters
Total Hours for the minor: 18-19
(1) To earn a Minor in Music from Mississippi State University, all of the coursework listed above must be completed at Mississippi State University, Starkville Campus, with a grade of C or better.