Mississippi State University offers MSU students the opportunity to complete a minor in music. The Music Minor is a comprehensive set of courses designed to increase student musicianship and knowledge. Students must audition and be accepted as a music minor before it can be declared. Acceptance in any given studio area is on a space available basis. The requirements for the music minor can not be completed after graduating from MSU.
For more information on the MSU Minor in Music, contact the Department of Music at 662-325-3070 or a Professor in your instrument/voice area.
Music History (2-3 hrs) (1)
Choose one of the following courses:
- MU 1103 African-American Music (3)
- MU 1123 History and Appreciation of American Music (3)
- MU 1133 The History of Rock and Roll (3)
- MU 1313 History and Appreciation of Music (3)
- MU 2012 World Music (2)
- MU 3013 Survey of Western Music I (3)
Music Theory and Aural Skills (8 hrs)
- MU 1213 Music Theory I (3)
- MU 1321 Ear Training I (1)
- MU 1413 Music Theory II (3)
- MU 1521 Ear Training II (1)
Class Piano (2 hrs)
- MU 2111 Piano Class I (1)
- MU 2121 Piano Class II (1)
- MU 3112 Functional Skills Piano I (2)
Applied Study (4 hrs)
Two semesters of study (2 credit hours each semester) must be completed on the same instrument.
Ensembles (2 hrs)
Two semesters of major or minor ensembles
Recital Hour (0 hrs)
MU 1010 Recital Hour must be taken for 2 semesters
Total Hours for the minor: 18-19
(1) To earn a Minor in Music from Mississippi State University, all of the coursework listed above must be completed at Mississippi State University, Starkville Campus, with a grade of C or better.